At O’MY, our team is embracing the magic of a new season to recommit to our fitness goals and physical health. No matter where we find ourselves in our fitness journey, we can BELIEVE AGAIN – in ourselves, in our physical health, and in the benefits daily movement provides.
Believing Again in Our Physical Health
Believing again in our physical health can seem like a daunting task, which is why many of us choose to ignore it in the first place. Fall Calendars are crazy, schedules are booked, and we always seem to be short on time. (Is there anyone else who always feels this way?)
Prioritizing our own fitness is an activity many of us allow to fall to the wayside. Seriously, who has time to work out when there is so much to do? If this is you, and don’t worry, there have been seasons in our lives when that has been us too, but it is time to believe again in physical health.
Many of us think believing in our physical health means carving out hours each week to spend at a community class or working out at the local gym, but even if you have a few minutes, you can find ways to make time for movement and stay active each and every day. After all, small changes can add up to some really big changes.
Here are some of our favorite ways we make micro-moments in our days to help us believe again in our fitness and physical health.
- Accomplish errands. Grab the grocery list and a pedometer or smartphone with a step counter and head out for a day of errands. You will be getting your steps in for the day and getting errands accomplished all at the same time. Look at you getting things done!
- Engage muscles. Whether you are checking emails at the office or folding laundry at home, tighten the muscles in the abdominals, core, and glutes, or any other muscle you feel like focusing on. Stringing together a “flow” of different isometric holds can do great things for your body and mind. Telling a muscle to fire and holding onto that contraction for 30-45 seconds is a great way to trigger mind-muscle connection, which can help with overall strength. Who knew you could get a great workout while sitting!
- Stretching while watching a show. Katie, O’MY’s Supply Chain Manager shares what their family has started to do most nights of the week. “We have taken to stretching and foam rolling while we watch our favorite evening show. Instead of being stagnant in front of the TV, foam rolling or stretching it out makes us feel a little more productive while we see what is going on with the characters in our lives.
- Use an app. We have apps on our phones for everything, so why not use one for exercise. Morgan, O’MY’s Sales Manager says, “I have an app on my phone with a full arsenal of 5-15min workouts I can squeeze into my day at a moment’s notice.”
- Walking before watching. Heather, O’MY’s Marketing Manager says, “Something we have started in our house is getting everyone out of the house for a walk after dinner. Not only does this help with digestion, but it also helps us get moving in nature instead of plopping in front of the T.V. right after dinner, which can become an easy habit to get into.”
- Make it social. Allison, O’MY’s co-founder and CEO, carves out 1 hour each Monday to meet a friend for some strength training. Afterwards they catch up on their weekends while enjoying green smoothies.
Believing Again in Body Weight Workouts
Just like it is possible to carve out micro-moments of time for our physical health, it is also possible to get in a solid sweat session even without access to a gym. You don’t even have to leave the friendly confines of your own living room. Who needs a gym when you have your own body weight? Some of our favorite bodyweight moves include:
- Bicycle crunches
- Jumping jacks
- Jumping lunges/Plyo lunges
- Plank jacks
- Russian twists
- Seal jacks
- Shoulder taps
- Side crunches/Oblique crunches
- Soccer taps
- Skater jumps
- Squat jumps
- Tuck jumps
- Wall sits
With these movements or some of your other favorites, create a mini-workout. Start off with a walk, light jog, or sprint. You can also use a set of stairs and run them once or twice and get that heart rate up. Then, it is time to get to work. If you are really short on time, create a Tabata-style workout.
Pick a few bodyweight movements and perform them for 20 seconds, then take a 10-second break. Repeat this for eight rounds before moving on to the next movement. Try explosive movements like burpees, jump lunges, pushups, situps, and tuck jumps to work up a sweat when you only have a few minutes. Do not forget to work the upper body with bodyweight movements like planks, push-ups, and shoulder taps.
Believe Again with O’MY Dairy-Free Gelato
We believe that consistent moments and small pockets of time can all add up to some pretty big results in our lives, especially when it comes to our fitness and physical health. It is never too late to start prioritizing your physical health, even if you are short on time or are without a gym membership. Find bits of time in your day, no matter how small, get creative, and make time for micro-moments where you can focus on fitness, physical health, and all of its benefits because it is time you started to believe again.
Show us how you believe again with O’MY! Dairy-Free Gelato by tagging us @omydairyfree